Monday, February 2, 2009

Day 98 Chinese New Year in Chinatown, Chicago.

A month or so ago when Mike and I were on our way back from Wisconsin we took a wrong turn and ended up in the thick of downtown Chicago. After a while we passed Chinatown. I have been wanting to go back since that day and explore. Imagine my surprise when our hotel concierge this weekend reminded us that Sunday was the Chinese New Year and that there would be celebrations in Chinatown on Sunday.

I was as giddy as a child on Christmas, and begged Mike to go. He contends that he wanted to go, but between you and I, I think he could have taken or left it. Either way he obliged me and we made the trek.

We had to park 4 or 5 blocks away, luckily the cold wasn't a bitter one. As silly as it sounds the main thing I wanted to see were the dragons in the parade. So due to the cold we didn't finish the entire parade. In all honesty I'm not completely convinced that I'd go brave the cold and massive crowds again. I'd love to go back to Chinatown but I think I'll go some time other than The Chinese New Year.

The year of the OX


A group of children all playing with "snaps". I love this picture. Boys and girls, all different colors, fast friends for the day, all playing together without a care in the world.



I was captivated by this little ones precious face.



One of my other favorite sets for the day.









Julian High School Marching Band













Cute brother and sister. I caught a glimpse of the little girl giving her brother a hug and had to grab a shot of the two of them.



This little one was very skeptical of me.


1 comments:

Erin said...

I love Chinatown! We try to get up there and eat at least once a year.