Monday, March 30, 2009

Day 153 - Vintage Trains



I mentioned in my last post about the places photography has taken me, but did I mention how photography has made me "SEE?" Instead of walking through life missing out on the world around me, every where I go I think, "hmm how could I make that into a picture?"

This weekend we were on the road when suddenly I screamed, "HONEY!! STOP!! Go over there!"





What did I see but some vintage trains sitting out. Oh what an opportunity, not only do I love anything vintage, but something so unique.





So my loving husband turned the car around and I got out to claim my prize.

While I was shooting I saw a woman coming near me, so I almost sheepishly asked if it was ok that I was there taking pictures. She said, "OF COURSE, just be careful over here..." and pointed to a pile of pieced and parts.








A few minutes later her husband appeared and they both gave me some information about the cars that were there. I asked if it would be possible for me to go inside one to take some pictures, but the cars outside were locked. Instead he took me into a "garage" where some of their working cars were. It was pretty dark so getting good shots of the inside was a bit difficult but he was able to turn on a few lights so I could get some. (Click here to see the car I was in.)

The gentleman that helped me was a wealth of information, telling me everything from the history of the cars and the fact that they were indeed a working railroad, to how the trains work! I left so excited I can't WAIT to take our kids back on a ride this summer.





If you want to visit this train station too it is a great piece of history. The cars are all refurbished but kept "original".

Check out the website and if you are in the area go visit them. I can't wait until summer to go take a ride on history!

East Troy Electric Railroad



This brake gauge is still in working condition, whenever this car is in use.





4 comments:

*Lissa* said...

What an awesome adventure! And damn girl, you are gettin' GOOD!

Mandy said...

Oh I love all the train photos. It's amazing how older items make the best photos! Such history. Are you doing a Mind's Eye this week? Or did I not see it...

Allyson said...

Whoops, yes we are I'll post it in a few hours!! I knew I was forgetting something today.

Anonymous said...

Nice score my friend. I love this series you captured, love it.

How awesome that they let you in one of the cars and told you about them. The guys at PPSOP would be proud :)

Outstanding!